A day workshop developing grass roots skills and the ability to navigate using a map and a compass. Get out and explore, have Adventures further from the beaten track and grow your confidence by learning to navigate.
During this one day course we will cover,
- A general overview of a compass, maps and technology,
- Orientating a map using a compass and the ground,
- Measuring and working out distance,
- Taking and walking on a bearing,
- Techniques to make your journey easy and efficient,
- Grid references,
- Kit and equipment,
- Emergancy procedures and considerations,
- Planning a route and considertions.
Introduction to Navigation Workshop
In order for you to enjoy your Adventure even more we ask you bring the follwong with you.
- A small rucksack.
- A waterproof jacket and trousers.
- A warm layer such as a fleace, jumper or jacket.
- A hat and gloves.
- A flask with a hot drink if you would like one.
- At least 1 liter of water.
- Food / Snacks.
- A camera if you wish to take any pictures.
- A note book and pen / pencil should you wish to take notes.
- A map - 1:25.000 Map of Dartmoor (Ordnance survey OL28)
- A base plate type compass.
Please ensure you wear clothing and footwear which is appropriate to the weather and for walking on Dartmoor. The weather can be extreamly unforgiving and the terrain is undulating and uneven underfoot.
If you have any questions about any clothing or equipment please contact us
The workshop will take place within Dartmoor National park.
We use a variety of locations and try to vary where our workshops take place. We do this for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, to ensure the impact we have on the environment we are in is as minimal as possible.
Secondly, we know some people may want to visit us and attend the same course a couple of times. We want to be able to facilitate your skills and Adventure in a range of places so you know you have the ability and can trust your own skills. If you have attended a workshop with us before please let us know and we will ensure the locations are changed so you can practice your skills in a new area should you wish to.
A map with directions and meeting locations will be sent to you via email before the course. However, if you have any problems or questions please contact us.